Friday, June 26, 2009

Field Camp, Part 4: Rattlesnakes!

Why's it always have to be snakes? Here are some photos compiled through the trip of some serious snakes. These are all western rattlesnakes (Crotalis viridis), the only species of rattlesnake in Montana.

I guess I was a little too close for this guy's comfort. The feeling was definitely mutual (but look how awesome this photo is!).

This photo definitely looks like it was staged. I promise it wasn't. There's a huge snake these guys are looking at.

Here's the huge rattler.
And again, all coiled up...
Students getting a look at another snake...
My friend startled a snake right as it struck a Richardson's Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus richardsonii). Here's the poor little bugger after it died. I stuck around to watch the snake eat it.

The head is down...
Now for the arms...
And the arms look like they're in. This is 20 minutes later.

No comments: